Jackson history ...

Jackson began in 1814 as a settlement on the elevated land between Hubble and Goose Creeks. Not yet known as Jackson, the original site was selected for the county seat of the newly named Cape Girardeau County. A delegation of five men were selected to negotiate the purchase of a fifty-acre site from William H. Ashley and his wife Mary (nee, Able) for $500.


The pioneer families living in the area debated what to name the new seat of justice. Ashley? Lorimier? Many favored naming the town in honor of General Andrew Jackson. At an Independence Day celebration the name Jackson was selected, and by December, 1814, lots were being sold. Almost immediately Jackson outgrew the 50 acres and additional land began being added. 

In 1818 a federal land office was established and the first courthouse, a two-story frame structure, was built.  Jackson then had a population of 300 and supported five stores, two shoemakers, and a tannery. In 1819 the first newspaper in Southeast Missouri, the Missouri Herald, was published in Jackson. In 1877 Jackson was linked to Cape Girardeau by the first long distance telephone service line in Missouri.  

 

From these humble beginnings, Jackson has grown in all directions from the courthouse square to a current population of over 15,000 and an area more than 7,000 acres. The history does not end there. Today’s growth is forging tomorrow’s history as Jackson continues to grow and prosper.

MAINSTREET IN MISSOURI ...

Uptown Jackson is active with its coordinating state program, Missouri Main Street Connection. The success of the Main Street® approach to revitalization is based on its comprehensive nature. By carefully integrating four points into a practical uptown management strategy, the local Main Street® program will produce fundamental changes in a community's economic base, while preserving its historic commercial buildings and the community's unique heritage. The goal is to create a sustainable organization that functions as the revitalization leader in the community.

Uptown JacksoN'S BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Tyler Wolfsberger
PRESIDENT
Janey Foust
Vice President
Emma evans
SECRETARY
janet sanders
treasurer
Craig milde
donna cook
Scott givens
Terry
Tuschhoff
Andrea Hamm
Steve Turner
executive
director

Something on your mind? Have a comment or question? Please shoot us a message below! It's easy and quick, and we'd love to hear from you. 

Contact Us
Sign up for Updates
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • 125 E. Main St, Suite E

  • Jackson, Missouri, 63755

  •  Tel: 573-987-0624